The government has made it mandatory for citizens in the country’s federal capital, Islamabad, to undergo a three-day training program. The initiative, spearheaded by the Federal Police, aims to equip individuals with the necessary skills and knowledge to responsibly own and use firearms.
Arms License Three-Day Training Program
Under the newly issued directives by the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Dr. Akbar Nasir, citizens seeking arms licenses will now be required to complete a comprehensive training regimen conducted by the Federal Police. The training will include sessions at the police shooting range, ensuring that applicants are proficient in handling firearms safely.
The decision comes in the wake of increased focus on national security and the government’s commitment to addressing the challenges posed by terrorism. The caretaker government had previously issued stringent directives concerning the issuance of new arms licenses, emphasizing the need to safeguard the lives, rights, and properties of all citizens, irrespective of their religious or ethnic identity.
The process for obtaining an arms license in 2023 involves several steps, as outlined by the authorities:
1. Fill up the Arms License Form.
2. Attach one copy of the ID Card.
3. Obtain verification from the local Police Station on the filled-up Arms License Form.
4. The applicant must appear before the Deputy Commissioner (DC) along with a copy of the CNIC.
5. The DC will then issue an order for the issuance of the Arms License based on the completed form.
6. The applicant is required to affix the issued license on the designated form.
7. Submit the completed forms to the Arms Licensing Department.
Once the process is complete, the approved applicant can purchase a firearm from a licensed arms dealer. This comprehensive approach aims to strike a balance between individual rights and the broader imperative of ensuring public safety in the federal capital.